RE: PAL Conversions

Chris McNevins (Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu)
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:24:40 -0700 (PDT)

What about out of print titles? What's our recourse then?

Chris (Christine) McNevins
University Library Assistant II
chris.mcnevins@uconn.edu
PHONE: 860-486-3842
FAX: 860-486-6493
***************************
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
Collections Services Area
Acquisitions--Monographs
369 Fairfield Road / Unit 1005
Storrs, CT 06269-1005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 9:57 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: PAL Conversions

YES. You can't convert a video to another format for your convenience
anymore than you can translate a book, transfer film to video etc. Any
transfer from one format to another on a copyrighted work requires the
permission of a copyright holder. Since it is relatively easy to use
a multi-system player you have this option for legitimate use a PAL copy
but it is never legal to make any copies in any format without permission (
which in reality you would not get anyway)

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International