Re: Ghatak Distributor

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 05:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Dan,

it's very difficult to get films of Ritwik Ghatak on video. Even in
India and Bangladesh they are not available as I know. See here:

http://www.geocities.com/vriwhatsnew/sensibilities.html
"None of the Ritwik’s films is available in the CD format. Video
casettes are available only in the foreign countries. Some sites on him
appear in the internet like Ritwik Ghatak Page of Ohio University
http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/~guptaa/ritwik/rit_index.html
where some writings of Ritwik Ghatak, a few interviews with him,
filmography etc. are available. An essay written after the contemporary
relevance of his films and other references appear in the internet
verion of Views Reviews Interviews. Various information is available in
different websites like film India.com or indiafilm.net etc."

There is no entry in Worldcat and even the usual Bollywood distributors
offer no film by Ghatak. See this website:
"...Despite widespread critical acclaim, not one of Ritwik Ghatak’s
films is available for distribution in the United States, either on film
or video..." (March 2001)
http://www.harvardfilmarchive.org/calendars/01marapr/ghatak.htm

The only source worldwide I know is this distributor in Switzerland
http://www.trigon-film.ch/ They offer 4 titles (His refugee trilogy:
Titash ekti nadir naam, Subarnarekha, Meghe dhaka tara; and: Jukti,
takko aar gappo ). All titles in bengali with french and german
subtitles; VHS/PAL - which doesn't help you as I suppose.

The only title available on DVD by most Bollywood distributors is
"Madhumati" made by Bimal Roy in 1958, script by Ritwik Ghatak.

But there are good news from the BFI in London:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/visitingarts/imagineasia.html
"...Two films by one of South Asia's most highly regarded filmmakers,
director Ritwik Ghatak, are available on video from the British Film
Institute: Titash Ekti Nadir Naam (A River Called Titash, 1973) and
Meghe Dhaka Tara (Cloud-capped Star, 1960)."

They will be published in 23rd Sep. on VHS/PAL and DVD/PAL - Code 2 or
0? in bengali with english subtitles (better than nothing!)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/person/7100000007927

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin