RE: Inventive CD Burners

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:55:44 -0700 (PDT)

we haven't had this happen yet, since we don't have the cd burning
capability. However, one thing we do is put the barcode directly on the
insert in the upper left hand corner. If the color copies are so good that
the copied barcode passes the laser, I don't know what the solution would
be. However, there is probably a different look to an insert with the
barcode on it, as opposed to a really good copy. I don't know how this will
help you now, but...

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: John Muller [mailto:john.muller@SONOMA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 1:27 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Inventive CD Burners

Here is a weird sidelight to the problem with patrons burning library CDs...

Out of the 2000+ CDs in our collection, approximately 10% of them are
missing the original liner notes and jewel-case cover art.

We have a very talented pirate who makes quality color scans (complete with
ID labels!) and inserts them in place of the originals. Of course, on first
glance, the CD case looks fine, the person leaves the original disc in, so
we have no reason to question it on first glance. An item may circulate
several times before the facsimile artwork is discovered (usually a patron
complaint about missing lyrics; the faux sheets are just cosmetic and lack
double sides or multiple pages), so it is impossible to backtrack any
patterns by any single individual.

Has anybody else experienced this practice? Any suggestions on how to
prevent or discourage it?

Our circulation system does not allow item record histories, so we can not
backtrack previous patrons or detect suspicious user patterns. Of course,
closer inspection upon checkin is the most obvious preventative action, but
not always possible in a high traffic situation.

Thanks.

--
John F. Müller
Sonoma State University Library