Fwd: Pape rwork Question

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 06:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

At the risk of starting a war here, I feel I have to respond to Jessica's
post from the perspective of an acquisitions person....

Jessica, are you really saying that you *throw away* POs that you find
annoying or which don't fit your requirements as an acceptable order? You
don't notify the sender that you're not fulfilling the order?? If that's
really what you're saying, you'll just end up receiving more paperwork when
the buyer sends in a claim to see why the PO hasn't been fulfilled. You
are a small company, but some of us buyers are small operations, too. For
instance, I purchase ALL books AND videos AND DVDs for our college
library. While of course a phone number & e-mail address are always
helpful, I'm not sure why I would know in advance that a company would
*need* them on a P.O. I mean, does it really take longer to jot a note &
stick a P.O. in an envelope than it does to compose an e-mail message?

I'm probably sounding nasty, too, but I'm just wondering about some of
this. You are frustrated that people don't understand how they're adding
to your workload, but I'm not sure that all of the people ordering from you
have a clue as to why what they're doing is so awful. If you send a P.O.
back, saying "We don't accept BID OFFERS", then that person will know not
to do it again. If you pitch it, how is he/she to know?

Sorry, just venting, I guess.... Flame me if you will.

Susan at Wabash

>Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
>Sender: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>From: Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Pape rwork Question
>
>I think I posted on this before but I am having more problems with
>institutional paperwork. Kino is a small company and anything more than the
>basics ( Invoice , PO # etc) is a bitch. I have decided to no longer accept
>ANY orders under $100 that require anything OTHER than a standard tax info
>form. I have gotten orders for a SINGLE tape which come with 5 pages of
>forms and I just can't spend time on this. I IMMEDIATELY throw out "bid"
>contracts as we don't "bid" on orders. Our basic procedure is to put ONE
>copy of invoice INSIDE the box and MAIL one copy to billing address but
>we find that somehow about 20% of the time , the customer claims to have
>NEVER gotten an invoice. I refuse on principle to fill out any forms
>requesting information on the office ( break down of staff, adherence to
>drug policy etc). I also have to throw away ANY forms about additional
>rights , duplication etc because I just can't fill them out and send them
>with EVERY order and since basically NO feature films would EVER come with
>these rights I find it annoying. I must also throw out ANY PO or order which
>simply STATES these right on a PO, as I am not going to be put in the
>position of crossing it out and returning it.
>
>I know this all sounds nasty but if any of you guys have suggestions that
>would work WITHOUT taking up too much time let me know.
>
>Also can PLEASE, PLEASE get them to put EITHER a phone # or e mail address
>on orders as again I am forced to just throw out a PO that comes in with
>a title we don't carry UNLESS I have a way of contacting the institution,
>OTHER than mailing it back
>
>Jessica
>--
>Jessica Rosner