RE: Posting copyright notices in media depts.

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:05:14 -0700 (PDT)

It's not only patrons. Remember the question this summer about the woman
with a video from Germany and it wouldn't play on her player, and wanted to
know if she could copy it? Our local paper had the same question, and told
the writer to go to one of the video copy places to have it transferred to
NALS standard tape

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Boedicker [mailto:mboedicker@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 11:37 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Posting copyright notices in media depts.

Do any of you folks post signs in your media depts. about copyright -- i.e.
that the library adheres to copyright law and that copying certain material
may be an infringement? I'm constantly amazed by the number of patrons who
openly brag about ripping our CDs or copying our videos. Worse, they often
seem to think it's legal "as long as I don't sell it." Recently a guy
called, quite upset, because he'd accidentally returned a library CD to us
(belonging to another library) with his own burned CD copy inside the
library case along with the legitimate CD. Since it belonged to another
library, it was routed to them, but man, he had nerve asking us to track
down his pirated copy (which we refused to do).

I know a posted copyright sign won't stop any of this, but at least it would

serve as a formal notice. If any of you have such a sign, how does it read?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
mboedicker@hotmail.com
http://www.danville.lib.il.us