Re: suggestions for titles for our Center in China

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:08:17 -0700 (PDT)

Madeline,

Could you post the results of #6 to this list? A number of us would be
very interested in seeing it.

As for the others, it's quite a daunting task. A good approach would be to
look at a number of University-level screening lists for courses that deal
with the genres, cultural and film historical aspects you require. And by
"films" I assume you mean titles on DVD or video. I imagine that North
American DVD's will have to be played on a Chinese multi-region player and
VHS tapes on a multi-system player. My memory is that China is on the PAL
system although Hong Kong and South Korea are NTSC.

Good luck.

Oksana

At 01:00 PM 7/23/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Videolibbers,
>
>Our Hopkins-Nanjing Center in China has started a project to purchase films
>for their collection. They have asked for help creating a list of titles
>to add. Their criteria are quite broad and appear below:
>
>For Feature Films:
>
>1. Films that were popular that changed or helped define American culture
>at a particular moment no matter how "lowbrow" they may be ("Animal House,"
>for example, should be included).
>
>2. Quality films that reflect an important aspect of American Culture, a
>moment in American history, or the concerns/lives of a particular American
>subculture or ethnic group, no matter how unpopular they might have been at
>the time of release (many of these will be indie/art house films).
>
>3. Representative films in various genres (Sci-fi, westerns, gangster
>films, animation, musicals).
>
>4. Films that are important to an understanding of film history (silent
>films, breakthrough films of various sorts).
>
>5. Films that reflect American views of and attitudes toward China. (they
>will provide titles for this list).
>
>6. Important Chinese films, with English subtitles (they will provide
>titles for this list).
>
>For Documentary Films:
>
>These should pertain to some aspect of American or Chinese studies. In
>addition to the obvious Ken Burns, American Experience, PBS catalog sort of
>films, which we want, we should also look at Oscar-nominated documentaries
>and oddball stuff, e.g. Hands on a Hardbody, Hoop Dreams, Roger and Me,
>Arthur Dong's Forbidden City, Crumb, Brother's Keeper, After Stonewall.
>
>I been working with another colleague and we've suggested several lists and
>sources (e.g., LC's National Film Registry, AFI's various lists, searching
>Books in Print and limiting to video, etc.), and they have a lists already
>(I'll be happy to share these for those who might want to see them). We
>just want to make sure that we're not missing anything so if anyone has
>suggestions about where else we should look or specific titles that should
>absolutely be on the list, we'd love to hear them.
>
>Thanks so much and please let me know if there are questions or if anyone
>needs clarification.
>
>Madeline Copp
>
>Madeline A. Copp, Resource Services Librarian
>(English * Film & Media Studies * Writing Seminars * Humanities Center)
>Milton S. Eisenhower Library
>Johns Hopkins University
>3400 N. Charles Street
>Baltimore, MD 21218
>410-516-8540
>410-516-8399 (fax)
>mcopp@jhu.edu

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec