Re: splicing videos

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

Splicing videotape with cellophane tape is NOT RECOMMENDED UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES.

Signal on videocassettes is laid down in a heliacal scan - meaning it's in
a long, skinny diagonal line on the tape (no, you can't see it; we're
talking electrons here). If the tape breaks anywhere there is signal, you
won't be able to reallign the track without special equipment and a
practiced hand. I've seen splices done by an experienced professional, and
even those aren't so great.

The biggest hazard is that you could easily get adhesive from the
cellophane tape on the front (read) side of the videotape, which in turn
will clog and/or damage the video head. You could destroy the tape and the
machine, too.

You might get away with tape at the very beginning or the very end of the
tape, as that section does not contact the video head in the vcr, but the
adhesive on the cellophane tape will decay over time, and your problems
begin again...

You can only make another copy of a videotape if you have copyright
permission from the copyright holder. That's the law.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200