Re: Cataloging

Robert Bratton (rb202@umail.umd.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Pamela,

> Pamela Bruce wrote:
> All formats (DVD, laserdisk, VHS, 16mm)
>
> *How do you classify them (LC, accessions number?)

I would use the same classification system that you use for your print
collections. We're an academic institution, so we use LC. Accession
numbers are quick and easy, but they prevent browsing in person or via
the online catalog. Using accession numbers also contributes to the
erroneous idea that videos aren't as worthy as their print counterparts
since they don't "deserve" a call number. Assigning call numbers
requires more time and experienced personnel, but it's worth it.

A great organization for AV catalogers is OLAC:

http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/olac/

You may want to join their listserv and post your query there as well:

http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/olac/olaclist/

--
Robert Bratton
Audiovisual Cataloger

rb202@umail.umd.edu (301) 314-5637 (phone) / (301) 314-9971 (fax)

"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are and doing things as they ought to be done." - Calvin Ellis Stowe.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire.