Re: Thais video

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:20:54 -0700 (PDT)

It probably had more to do with the fact that Thais is (was?) an ancient
Egyptian prostitute, who seduces a monk, then finds religion, or perhaps
this was a reference to a notorious production of the opera in New
Orleans in the early 1970's in which soprano Carol Neblett dropped all
of her clothes on a climactic high note at the end of Act I, revealing a
lot more than thighs. Actually, it is a fairly short opera - it was the
first opera written to a prose libretto and as a result is a bit more
compact than most.
Unfortunately, there are no legit videos of the opera (and I don't even
know of any bootlegs since it is so rarely staged these days), and as
you may recall from previous inquiries, the silent film version of it
starring Mary Garden is likewise unobtainable.