RE: Anime WAS: The beginning of the end?

Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

At 6:22 AM -0700 6/25/02, Mike Tribby wrote:
>Perhaps people are somewhat reluctant to join our West Coastal breddren in
>worshipping at the feet of a commercial development that promises to sweep
>the nation but never bring down the retail prices of new releases...

Actually anime are often cheaper on DVD. When Cowboy Bebop first came out
it was $29.95 per subtitled tape and per DVD disc. But the tapes had two
episodes and the discs four, the savings were just shy of the cost of a DVD
player in those days.

This continues to be the trend with DVDs usualy having more episodes than
tapes would have had in the past. In fact I just got the new Silent Moebius
DVD which was $40.00 but it contains two DVD discs with plenty of episodes.

> Ultimately many consumers find a form of art
>that constantly repeats themes and images to be boring and unrewarding, not
>like my favorite form of cultural expression, reggae. Oops... wait a minute.

HAW! I know what you mean When it comes to reggae I prefer the very early
stuff, even rock steady.

While much anime is repeditive there is such a large amount produced, one
estimate is over 4,000 titles (and any long series is counted as one
title), that one can chose the cream. Now of course we need the US
distributors to continue expanding their selection of genres a bit more
then they already have.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum