RE: why won't this video play?

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT)

Gilles,

Thanks for the additional information below on pirated/legit. DVD copies.
Always glad to learn more from someone who spends more time in this area
than I do!

Your closing observation about the problem restricted distribution causes
when the legitimate release has been altered for the new market is
certainly important. And no doubt a major impetus for
out-of-distribution-area consumers to get "the real thing" whenever they
can, regardless of the legal situation. As you say, the situation seems to
be improving. But "purist" voices are needed to change distributors' minds
about altering product they make available locally in licensed form. It'll
be interesting to follow the ultimate effect that fans have on Disney's
altering of Asian product it is now offering. Up to a point, DVD's
capabilities can satisfy both the marketeer and the purist consumer--as you
note in the case of subtitled original soundtracks being included as well.

Jeff

--On Saturday, June 22, 2002 1:42 PM -0700 Gilles Poitras
<gilles@exploratorium.edu> wrote:

> At 11:18 AM -0700 6/22/02, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
>
>> And muscle will be
>> applied on the import version by the new rights holder. That's what's
>> happening with the Disney complex's (Buena Vista/Miramax) clamping down
>> on select Hong Kong and Japanese product they now have the international
>> rights to repackage.
>
> Much of their clamping down is with Asian pirated releases such as the
> various Ghibli box sets. Currently there is no licensed DVD release of the
> Ghibli titles in a box set. This week I reported about 20 online retailers
> who were selling these to Joe Woodall.
> http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/answers.html
>
> Plenty of places sell the legetimate Japanese releases of the individual
> discs with, so far, no problem.
>
> A good web site on identifying, at lease anime related, pirated goods is:
>
> http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html
>
>> So recently, for example, www.pokerindustries.com will
>> no longer sell certain titles going to U.S. addresses.
>
> They have a good selection of US releases of many Asian titles.
> Interesting tho' that their Jin Roh disc is a region 3 import as this
> title has been available for several months in the US.
>
> For me the issue of restricting imports has the problem that many Hong
> Kong movie titles I am interested are available in US releases only
> redubbed into English not subtitled. Lately I have noticed a few that are
> being re-released with subtitles so that may be a diminishing problem.
>

> Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
> Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum

Jeff Clark
Director