Re: The beginning of the end?

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:52:21 -0700 (PDT)

Our DVD purchasing has been on a dramatic upswing for the past two years.
Certainly, there are several times more feature films purchased in this
format for academic use than in videocassette. Most of the videos of
feature films are purchases made specifically by academic depts. (they
receive library allocations), driven by a combination of where appropriate
equipment for screening is available on campus and whether the title is
still unique to tape.

It helps, too, of course, that my operation has been receiving a yearly
grant from our foundation to develop the DVD collection for film studies!

Jeff

--On Friday, June 21, 2002 1:19 PM -0700 Daren Callahan
<dcallaha@lib.siu.edu> wrote:

> Can I ask what kinds of purchasing you all will be doing this next fiscal
> year? Video? DVD? Will you continue to purchase both? What criteria
> will you use? We have a relatively small collection (approx. 10,000
> videos) and a small budget (about $17,000), and we just started adding
> DVDs in the last year. Since I had to use my video allocation to
> incorporate these DVD purchases, I tried to be selective and ordered
> titles that were recommended for their quality or additional material.
> The DVD presence in the rental chains has mushroomed in the past year,
> and, with this latest announcement from Circuit City, I suppose the trend
> is clear.
>
> I would find it really helpful if folks would share their plans for
> purchasing for FY03.
> Thanks.
>
> x:..:x:..:x:..:x:..:x:..:x:..:x:..:x:...
> Daren Callahan
> Head, Cataloging Department
> Morris Library, Southern Illinois University
> Carbondale, IL 62901-6632
> FAX: 618-453-3452
> 618-453-7681

Jeff Clark