Anime WAS: The beginning of the end?

Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:03:31 -0700 (PDT)

At 9:48 AM -0700 6/21/02, Mike Tribby wrote:
>Gee, either Madison, Wisconsin has fallen far, far behind the times or all
>of the anime fans there are horribly retro, but I have yet to see a store
>that has more anime on DVD than VHS.

Retro. Sounds good if that includes their music tastes. <grin>

Here in the SF Bay Area it is rare to find a store with a broad anime
selection that has much on VHS unless it is very old stock that has been
sitting around for awhile. Video stores however usually havd a good
selection for rental as the rental market and buying markets are different
and most fans still own VHS decks.

>Obviously this doesn't happen at the same rate everywhere. I'm
>going to Chicago in the next week or two, so perhaps I'll be struck dumb(er)
>by the preponderance of anime on DVD and the dearth of same on VHS.

Perhaps not. Chicago has a reputation of being a bit of a backwater for
anime fandom. Until recently the only club was in a distant 'burb and there
were no conventions in the area. Much to the dislike of my friends from
Chicago. Historically the strongholds of anime fandom were the West Coast
and deep South. This has changed as fandom is spreading at a pretty rapid
pace these days.

This also mean that libraries are stocking more anime and having to track
down information on a branch of the video market that is rarely covered in
the regular review sources for videos.

This is one of the reasons I joined this list so I could be of assistance
when questions on anime arise.

Some resources I maintain which can be of use to librarians are on my web site.
http://www.koyagi.com/

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum