Re: why won't this video play?

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:59:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Renee,

Videos in PAL do not run on VCR in the U.S. that use NTSC. There are
differnet broadcast standards the U.S.(NTSC) and in Europe(PAL or
SECAM): Pal uses a frame rate (vertcal frequency) of 50 Hz with 625
horizonatal lines, NTSC has a frame rate of 60 Hz with 525 lines. The
result is "snow". NTSC runs with 30 frames/sec, PAL with 25 frames/sec
(respectively half of the vertical picture frequency). I suppose that's
the reason why the PAL video "sounds" a little faster on a NTSC-VCR.

More info here: http://www.alkenmrs.com/video/standards.html

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin