Re: The beginning of the end?

Steve Brantley (jbrant1@uic.edu)
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

I think this is a little premature on their part. Maybe they are
innovative? Maybe they are hasty. Remember, these are the people who tried
to get us to go for div-x (sp?)

Steve Brantley

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Gary Handman wrote:

> --=====================_1605734==_.ALT
>
> Hullo all:
>
> This from the June 17, 2002 issue of Video Business
>
> CIRCUIT CITY DUMPS VHS
>
> Circuit City stores has begun to "phase out" VHS product in its 622 stores
> around the country, becoming the first national mass merchant to go public
> with specific intent to discontinue the aging format [italics mine--gary].
>
> .."Consumers want DVD, and we want to meet the demand," said a Circuit
> City spokesman. "Since shelf space is limited, it's coming at the expense
> of VHS."
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
> --=====================_1605734==_.ALT

> Hullo all:<br>
> This from the June 17, 2002 issue of Video Business<br>
> CIRCUIT CITY DUMPS VHS<br>
> Circuit City stores has begun to &quot;phase out&quot; VHS product in its
> 622 stores around the country, becoming the first national mass merchant
> to go public with specific intent to discontinue the <i>aging format
> </i>[italics mine--gary].<br>
> ..&quot;Consumers want DVD, and we want to meet the demand,&quot; said a
> Circuit City spokesman.&nbsp; &quot;Since shelf space is limited, it's
> coming at the expense of VHS.&quot;<br>

Steve Brantley
Visiting Assistant Reference Librarian & Visiting Instructor
Main Library--Reference
University of Illinois at Chicago
312-996-4032
jbrant1@uic.edu