Re: Oral histories on film/video

John Muller (john.muller@SONOMA.EDU)
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

on 6/12/02 2:58 PM, Kim Hale at khale@popmail.colum.edu wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> One of our faculty members is looking for films that can be used as
> examples of oral history. One example she mentioned was "Rosie the
> Riviter".
>
> Any thoughts about other examples? All suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kim

Two that leap to mind are:

Jean Bach's "A Great Day in Harlem" (1994)
All about Art Kane's group photograph of all the top jazz musicians in NYC
in the year 1958 for a piece in Esquire magazine. Just about every great
jazz musician of the time showed up for the photo shoot and this film
features interviews with many of the musicians in the photograph & home
movies taken that day by Milt Hinton and his wife. (paraphrased from imdb)

Warren Beatty's "Reds" (1981)
The popular biographical drama of journalist John Reed and Louise Bryant is
perhaps best noted for the unique framing device employing real-life
"witnesses", first-hand participants and observers from the era depicted,
some 65 years prior to the making of the film.

--
John F. Müller
Sonoma State University Library