Re: a question of searching...

Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Karen!

Wonderful having you as a resource on the list. Thanks for these
comments. My hackles DO stand up (what the hell IS a hackle, anyway?) when
you say "the answer lies in user education."

We've beat up our users enough over the years, I think. The answer lies in
collective economic muscle and advocacy in dealing with catalog vendors or
systems folks to develop catalogs for the people (right on, bibliographic
bruthas and sistahs!)... If libraries don't develop systems and standards
that meet real needs and that look toward the future, we're gonna be left
in the dust.

UC Berkeley