Re: My silent list

Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

You're right, Oksana...

Even more than M, Zero plays in the mind as a silent... It's odd how
effective the sparing use of sound can be. In films such as Zero and M
this was probably an expedient strategy in the face of a cranky new
technology...nonetheless, it works wonderfully (still). One can't help
lament where movies have gone with their punched-up, over-Dolbyized, aural
assaults.

At 11:16 AM 6/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Sorry I got to this one late but Zero de conduite and L'Atalante are both
>sound films. It's the M syndrome. Regardless of whether they are silent or
>sound they are both important films, and Zero de conduite is a wonderful,
>beautiful subversive little gem. No wonder the surrelists loved Vigo.
>
>To make the Vertov connection, Vigo met cinematographer Boris Kaufman, who
>was Dziga Vertov's brother and made the documentary A propos de Nice (
>About Nice) in 1929 which is a kind of Kino Eye social documentary. He then
>worked with him for his next 3 films.
>
>His total filmic output was 3 hours and 7 minutes (about the length of
>AFI's 100 years 100 Passions). He died at the young age of 29.
>
>Oksana
>
>At 02:28 PM 6/6/02 -0700, you wrote:
> > >Ok I said I was not going to do this but I can't
> >resist. There is a difference between what I think
> >are the ESSENTIAL titles for a library collection and
> >my personal favorites but some are the same ESSENTIAL
> >FILMS........MAN WITH THE MOVIE CAMERA......
> >
> >YES! Dziga Vertov must live on for future generations.
> >Find a copy of this film and acquire it. And don't
> >forget L'Atlante and Zero de Conduite by Vigo,
> >available on one tape? Let's ask Jessica.
> >
> >-Jon A.

> >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
> >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

>Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
>Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
>Faculty of Fine Arts
>Concordia University
>H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
>Montreal, Quebec