Re: My silent list

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry I got to this one late but Zero de conduite and L'Atalante are both
sound films. It's the M syndrome. Regardless of whether they are silent or
sound they are both important films, and Zero de conduite is a wonderful,
beautiful subversive little gem. No wonder the surrelists loved Vigo.

To make the Vertov connection, Vigo met cinematographer Boris Kaufman, who
was Dziga Vertov's brother and made the documentary A propos de Nice (
About Nice) in 1929 which is a kind of Kino Eye social documentary. He then
worked with him for his next 3 films.

His total filmic output was 3 hours and 7 minutes (about the length of
AFI's 100 years 100 Passions). He died at the young age of 29.

Oksana