RE: a question of searching...

Markus, Tim (MarkusT@evergreen.edu)
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:54:29 -0700 (PDT)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C21231.336F96A6

I think there are two issues here. One involves the nonfiling indicator in
the 245 of the catalog record. If this is set to 3 by the cataloger, no
system I know of will find "El Norte" by searching "El". Innovative also
alows systems to be set to ignore searches using initial articles by
patrons. This can include the typical English A, An and The as well as
foreign language articles. We have ours set only for the English articles
but we have had folks lobby for including the foreign articles as well. In
my opinion this only causes more problems and makes certain searches
impossible.

There probably is no perfect solution for this. I feel that educating the
public is the lesser of a range of evils here.

Tim Markus
Head of Cataloging
The Evergreen State Collgege
Olympia, WA 98505

> From: Rhonda Rosen <scoutzmom@yahoo.com>

> we use the Innovative online catalog. recently, when
> searching our catalog for "El Norte" i found that the
> system will not access the title by "El" Norte --only
> when you search by "Norte". Same for "La Boheme", "La
> Strada", "El Cid", etc.

<SNIP>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C21231.336F96A6

RE: a question of searching...

I think there are two issues here. One involves the = nonfiling indicator in the 245 of the catalog record. If this is set to = 3 by the cataloger, no system I know of will find "El Norte" = by searching "El". Innovative also alows systems to be set to = ignore searches using initial articles by patrons. This can include the = typical English A, An and The as well as foreign language articles. We = have ours set only for the English articles but we have had folks lobby = for including the foreign articles as well. In my opinion this only = causes more problems and makes certain searches impossible.

There probably is no perfect solution for this. I = feel that educating the public is the lesser of a range of evils = here.

Tim Markus
Head of Cataloging
The Evergreen State Collgege
Olympia, WA 98505

> From: Rhonda Rosen = <scoutzmom@yahoo.com>

> we use the Innovative online catalog.  = recently, when
> searching our catalog for "El Norte" = i found that the
> system will not access the title by = "El" Norte --only
> when you search by "Norte".  = Same for "La Boheme", "La
> Strada", "El Cid", etc.

<SNIP>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C21231.336F96A6--