Re: tonight - another AFI special...

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

My initial reaction is oh! puhleeeze, not again. I refuse to watch young
contemporary actors perform the part of film historian with "insight" into
a film, describing in detail a scene that means so much to them
"personally". I hope that they were at least sent a clip of the film with
their script... But then, I'm always in a minority. I'd rather see the
gaffer who worked on Casablanca talk about his experiences on the film
than to see Ozzie Osbourne talk about his choice for a romantic evening.

On the other hand, I think, well, that's not so bad, if it means that some
person out there, who hasn't watched a film older than from the period when
the/she was old enough to make a movie selection, decides to maybe seek out
an older film based on a recommendation from a popular celebrity. If they
saw the Casablanca gaffer, they'd switch to another channel.

But, on the third hand, enough is enough, what's next? 100 years, 100
diseases?

Sorry about the rant.

Oksana

At 11:45 AM 6/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
>--------------701DC18183D86FF7DD012F06
>

> AFI’s 100 Years...100 Passions
> June 11, 2002
> 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on CBS
>

> AFI’S 100 YEARS…100 PASSIONS
> TO EMBRACE AMERICA’S GREATEST LOVE STORIES
>
> AFI Invites Moviegoers to Fall in Love Again
>with America’s First Century of Film
>

> List of the 400 nominated films.
>PDF (47k)
>
> LOS ANGELES, November 14, 2001­The American
> Film Institute (AFI) today announced AFI’s 100
> Years...100 Passions, the fifth in a successful
>series
> celebrating the centennial of American cinema.
>AFI’s
> 100 Years…100 Passions will reveal America’s
>100
> America’s greatest love stories, as chosen by
>leaders
> of the entertainment community, in a three-hour
>
> television event.
>
> AFI’s 100 Years...100 Passions will air on the
>CBS
> Television Network in June 2002. For the fifth
> consecutive year, the primetime special will be
>
> executive produced and directed by Gary Smith;
> executive produced for AFI by former AFI Board
>chair
> Frederick S. Pierce; and produced by Dann
>Netter and
> Bob Gazzale.
>
> AFI’s 100 Years…100 Movies (1998),AFI’s 100
> Years…100 Stars (1999), AFI’s 100 Years…100
>Laughs (2000) and AFI’s 100
> Years…100 Thrills (2001) were each watched by
>millions of people, igniting a national
> debate and driving movie lovers back to the
>classics. AFI’s 100 Years…100 Passions will
> add to the existing programs by highlighting
>the complex, cinematic tales of the heart
> that have become an abiding part of American
>film history.
>
> "AFI selected ‘America’s Greatest Love Stories’
>as the theme for its ongoing celebration
> of the cinema centennial before the tragic
>events of September 11, 2001," stated AFI’s
> Director and CEO Jean Picker Firstenberg. "As
>we move forward, we are now­more than
> ever­reminded that the movies tell stories that
>move us and bring us together; and
> though the lovers on screen may end up apart
>when the lights come up, we­the movie
> lovers­remain bound by their emotional
>journey."
>
> AFI has distributed a ballot with 400 nominated
>films to a jury of 1,800 leaders from the
> creative community, including film artists
>(directors, screenwriters, actors, editors,
> cinematographers) critics and historians. The
>jurors have been asked to consider the
> following criteria in their selections:
>
> FEATURE-LENGTH FICTION FILM Narrative format,
>typically over 60 minutes in length.
>
> AMERICAN FILM English language film with
>significant creative and/or production
> elements from the United States.
>
> LOVE STORY Regardless of genre, a romantic bond
>between two or more characters,
> whose actions and/or intentions provide the
> [...]

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec