Bootlegs was: Silent films and public libraries

Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:05 AM -0700 6/6/02, John Holland wrote:

>To touch on another point which was raised: sometimes we end up with
>NASTY, EVIL, BOOTLEG (to paraphrase Jessica) copies unknowingly. If we
>... It would seem to me that the burden falls
>on the rights holder to do something about this rather than harangue us
>for buying them openly from legit vendors in good faith.

The rights holder often cannot do much unless they are informed of the
violation.

The rights holder can then simply send a letter to the retailer informing
them of the violation. This works quite well in many cases.

Among Japanese animation fans in the United States there is a tradition of
reporting commercial violators of licenses to the rights holder.

For example Nausicaa.net even has an address on their site to report
pirated Studio Ghibli titles.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/answers.html#report-piracy

In my case I have recently been reporting several online retailers selling
bootlegs of anime to several companies. It seems that someone is importing
large quantities of Taiwanese DVD bootlegs.

One clue for DVD is regionless discs, few legitimate titles are regionless.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum