Re: Silents for Publics

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

John,

You're absolutely right. M popped into my head also, and then I remembered
that it's not a silent. It just has that "silent" air about it and in many
scenes has very little dialogue. Films with synchronized music at the end
of the 20s like Sunrise and starting with Don Juan led the way to
part-talkies (like the Jazz Singer) which is referred to as the first sound
feature film but is more like a silent and contains less than 15 minutes of
sync sound.

Oksana

At 06:42 AM 6/5/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Somebody will have to jump in and say it, so it might as well be me:
>
>"M" is not a silent film (it is however a must-have for all collections),
>and I
>believe that the vhs is still a Home Vision release, and a Criterion DVD.
>
>Gary Handman wrote:
>
> > Ten silents in five years! Woah! Let's not move too quickly here.
> >
> > My list of essentials would include:
> >
> > Movies Begin (5 vols avail from Kino)
> > Library of Congress Video Collection (4 vols available from FACETS et al)
> >
> > Chaplin: (avail from FACETS, et al)
> > Gold Rush
> > Modern Times
> > Chaplin's Essanay comedies
> > Chaplin's Mutuals
> >
> > Buster Keaton
> > The Art of Buster Keaton (Kino)
> >
> > Slapstick Encyclopedia (8 vols, Kino)
> >
> > D.W. Griffith (all available on tape and DVD from FACETS)
> > Birth of a Nation
> > Intolerance
> > Way Down East
> >
> > Early German Film:
> >
> > M (Fritz Lang) (Kino)
> > Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Image Entertainment; avail from FACETS)
> > Metropolis (Kino)
> > Nosferatu (Murnau) (Kino)

> collection
> > > >

> > >Barbara:
> > >I could come up with a list and we could all debate it BUT I think it
> is sad
> > >that even a small library would only plan on ten silent films in 5 years (
> > >two a year) Silent films get kind of a double whammy, first you have the
> > >MASSIVE prejudice in libraries towards ANY non- print material and than
> > >when libraries DO collect non-print material they seem to be under
> > >heightened pressure to stick almost exclusively to "popular" stuff.
> > >Basically if I told a library they could only buy two books of poetry per
> > >year or two videos in a foreign language I assume they would be aghast but
> > >this is pretty much how silent films are treated. Among the best silent
> > >films ever made that HAVE been released legally on video are Von
> Sternberg's
> > >DOCKS OF NEW YORK, Murnau's FAUST, Vidor's SHOW PEOPLE, Reiniger's THE
> > >ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED ( I picked this list since each film is under
> > >copyright and released by a different company). How many people on
> this list
> > >have all of these in their collections? If not do you have ANY of the
> above?
> > >I would ESTIMATE that there are no more 600 good quality VHS/DVDs of
> really
> > >good silent films out there, there are maybe another 600 LEGAL copies of
> > >either minor films or lesser quality ( No comment on the huge number of
> > >bootleg silents) so you are not talking about a massive number of titles
> > >from my admittedly obsessed point of view.
> > >
> > >If Public & University libraries adverted 10 silent films PER YEAR, ( and
> > >did not all buy the same ten titles) it would undoubtedly make it possible
> [...]

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec