Re: looking for DVD advise - public library

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:03:25 -0700 (PDT)

We have been circulating DVD's for about a year now, and there have been relatively few problems. The shelves where they are kept are clearly marked "DVD", and any signs we have regarding circualtion policy we have made ourselves on a
PC. I haven't heard any complaints about patrons trying to play them in CD players (they can play in some PCs however): the only problem that has come up from someone putting a DVD in something other than a DVD player is one that
someone put in a microwave oven! (The patron couldn't understand why we made her pay for it!). That said, the latest stack of DVD's on my desk to be run through the RTI machine have comments like: "freezes at 131 minutes" (the film only
lasts 112 minutes); "does not play, makes funny noises"; "this DVD has no sound"; etc. Who knows what people are doing with them, but at least most are not permanently damaged.

--
John Holland
Librarian