Re: Transit Film Germany

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:39:54 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara,

What you want is something with public rather than academic appeal. So I
won't suggest the Russian classics like October, Battleship Potemkin, nor
some of the earlier American films. You also want to get videos that aaare
transfers from great prints as nothing turns people off more than something
that has no sound and a lousy, murky picture. So, my suggestions are for
titles available in great shape. I would suggest compilations like
Slapstick Encyclopedia, the Chaplin Mutuals, the Art of Buster Keaton.
Comedy reels people in. I also recommend Treasures from the American Film
Archives for slightly more serious people as well as Berlin, Symphony of a
Great City, and films starring the big stars from the period: Phantom of
the Opera (Lon Chaney), Show People (Marion Davies -- there might be
interest if your clients have seen the Cat's Meow) The Marriage Circle (I
had to throw a Lubitsch in there), Our Dancing Daughters/Our Modern Maidens
for Joan Crawford and the most delicious art deco sets) Peter Pan (no
comment necessary), Sparrow (Mary Pickford), Tol'able David (Richard
Barthelmess), Way Down East (Lillian Gish), The Strong Man (Harry
Langdon), The Kid Brother (Harold Lloyd), Son of the Sheik (Rudolph
Valentino) Wings (Clara Bow and a very young Gary Cooper), It (ok get
another Clara Bow, there's more of her in this one), Diary of a Lost Girl
(louise Brooks), The Big Parade, The Crowd, and Sunrise are perennial crowd
pleasers and dramas that have withstood the test of time.

Oksana