Re: Metropolis versions

Mike Boedicker (mboedicker@hotmail.com)
Fri, 24 May 2002 06:02:21 -0700 (PDT)

I saw Metropolis on the big screen a few weeks ago at the Roger Ebert
Overlooked Film Festival in Urbana, IL, w/ live score by the Alloy
Orchestra. If the upcoming Kino print is as good as this one was, you'll be
impressed. They also screened Patton in 70mm, and man, that was the only
way to see it. In the famous opening scene of Scott in front of the flag,
he was literally life-size and seemed to be standing right there on stage,
an effect lost even on 35mm. I guess this is my roundabout way of saying
that even with DVD and high def, video still can't hold up to a good film
print. In his review of the new Star Wars film, Ebert criticized the HD
look, saying it would probably look gorgeous on DVD but not on the big
screen (he didn't see a digital projection of Star Wars but a normal 35mm
print transferred from HD). Has anyone out there actually seen a digital
projection of the film? I think it's being show digitally on only a handful
of screens.

Mike

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
mboedicker@hotmail.com
http://www.danville.lib.il.us

>I'd love to see this one on the big screen, Jessica. And will dutifully
>wait for your version on DVD... :) Jeff

--On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 11:31 AM -0700 Jessica Rosner