Re: Metropolis versions

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:39:41 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jessica, dear videolibbers,

don't worry about TRANSIT. This is hard core german bureaucracy. We have
a lot of this kind of red tape in our country. In the past they were not
very much engaged in promoting german silent films in Germany and
consequently they are not engaged in checking bootlegs. We have to buy
all our films dating from the silent era in Germany from abroad, mainly
the U.S. because they are not available on the german market. Perhaps
DVD changes the situation.

For those who are interested in the different FILM versions of
Metropolis check out this site (it's in french, but you can compare the
lengths of the different versions)
http://cours.cegep-st-jerome.qc.ca/530-lem-p.l/chronolo.htm
Here is a cutting list of these versions ("Standard" means the infamous
U.S. version):
http://cours.cegep-st-jerome.qc.ca/530-lem-p.l/chronolo.htm

Here is some information about different VIDEO versions of Metropolis
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5555/mtp_vhs.htm#jef

We offer 3 versions in our library: Moroder version (88 min.),
Patalas=Munich version (which is a serious restoration project of the
Munich Film Museum - 116 min.) and a british version from EUREKA (139
min.) which seems to be the infamous one and which is longer only
because of lower speed. See here
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5555/metrop_v.htm

The Koerber version from the Berlin Film Museum,
http://cours.cegep-st-jerome.qc.ca/530-lem-p.l/koerber.htm (see english
text below)
which is the most complete and best version is not yet available on VHS
or DVD. I suppose the KINO version will be the Koerber restoration. Here
is the respective UNESCO Memory of the World Register
http://www.unesco.org/webworld/mdm/2001/eng/germany/metropolis/form.html

By the way the respectable Munich version restored by Enno Patalas is
available in France on DVD and VHS and can be recommended in any case.
http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=446662&SID=617A1F13%2DA68F%2D7100%2D6692%2DBB53E84A4B43&UID=&AID=&Origin=FnacAff&Pe=1&No=6&Fr=0&Mn=8&Ra=-3&To=0
(PAL/Region Code 2 with 2 music versions: Gottfried Huppertz and
Galeshka Moravioff, the editor of this DVD).

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html