RE: Metropolis versions

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Wed, 22 May 2002 10:37:00 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you, Jessica and Kino! Metropolis has been such a bugaboo in my film
history classes. In recent years, I had been using the Georgie Moroder rock
version in which, by 2002, the 1980s music was starting to sound really OLD
FASHIONED to kids these days. And, obviously, I could not chalk up the
music's antiquity to the fact that it was original.
I look forward to the restored version you are doing but, at 148
minutes, I may have to show it in two class periods. Film studies in some
ways have benefited from truncated versions but not without guilt.

Trent Nicholas
Instructor
Virginia Commonwealth University

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 12:01 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Metropolis versions

ALL The Current Versions are Bad and in fact all are also ILLEGAL
Kino just signed a deal to release the real & restored on VHS & DVD but it
will not be till early 2002. We are releasing in THEATERS first beginning on
July 28 in New York
Frankly we JUST signed the contract and the owners of the film , Transit
Films of Germany did NOTHING to stop the oodles of bootleg copies anyway
Needless to say we will but it is going to take a LONG time to get rid of
them. I suspect most of the PD companies releasing them, don't know and
don't want to know it is illegal. The WORST by far is the DVD out from
MADACY an EVIL, BOOTLEG company that releases Lots and lots of illegal films
in very bad quality

so please be patient and wait till around January and you will be able to
get a restored print which has been a major project for a decade or more
Alas parts of the film from its very FIRST release in 1927 are lost forever
but the version runs around 148 minutes and has the ORIGINAL orchestral
score

Jessica

--
Jessica Rosner