Re: Current situation? "Color of Fear"

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Tue, 21 May 2002 09:35:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm afraid not all of us are in DECISION-making positions, Gary. Some of
us, alas, just do the purchasing. (No, <gasp!> I'm not a full-fledged
librarian; I'm an educator & counselor by training.) I merely wanted to
alert Marilyn--or any others out there--about the stupid agreement Stir Fry
sends along with this video.

Susan at Wabash

At 09:15 AM 5/21/02 -0700, you wrote:
>--=====================_53880536==_.ALT
>
>In my xxxx years in the biz, I've paid over 400 bucks for a single title
>maybe three or four times: Fred Wiseman's stuff comes to mind (but what are
>ya gonna do? You've gotta buy em'); a couple of Trinh Minh-ha's things
>(shiiii! and she
>TEACHES here!!!)...and maybe one or two others. Now, I have spent my
>career going to bat for independent film makers and film distributors...I
>KNOW why the prices are high...I seldom balk at paying what it takes to get
>quality stuff in this collection. NONETHELESS! There's a point at which
>NO film is worth it (I wouldn't pay over $450 for footage of the Second
>Coming!). I think Mun Wah's case is prime...he's got a trendy, in-demand
>topic and he's got institutions by the short hairs... There's no reason
>for charging $460 for this work beyond pure avarice and opportunism. I see
>no reason whatsoever to pay these prices...one could easily cover the topic
>with other works.
>

>At 09:00 AM 5/21/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Gary & all,
> >I agree that $460 is absolutely an outrageous price for this...but we did
> >pay it in October of 2000. Since 5 faculty members were clamoring for it,
> >I did what I had to do. As you say, though, Caveat Emptor. At least at
> >that time, they sent out this ridiculous agreement you're supposed to sign,
> >requiring that you agree not to lend it to any other institution, that you
> >use it only in official classes of your institution (as opposed to
> >something like a faculty seminar), etc., etc. If I recall correctly, our
> >Head Librarian read it, *crossed out* a section he would not agree to, and
> >sent it back. They still sent the video. Perhaps you could consider the
> >same tactic if you find the agreement to be onerous.
> >
> >Susan at Wabash College

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator
Wabash College Lilly Library