Re: Current situation? "Color of Fear"

Tue, 21 May 2002 09:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

--=====================_53880536==_.ALT

In my xxxx years in the biz, I've paid over 400 bucks for a single title
maybe three or four times: Fred Wiseman's stuff comes to mind (but what are
ya gonna do? You've gotta buy em'); a couple of Trinh Minh-ha's things
(shiiii! and she
TEACHES here!!!)...and maybe one or two others. Now, I have spent my
career going to bat for independent film makers and film distributors...I
KNOW why the prices are high...I seldom balk at paying what it takes to get
quality stuff in this collection. NONETHELESS! There's a point at which
NO film is worth it (I wouldn't pay over $450 for footage of the Second
Coming!). I think Mun Wah's case is prime...he's got a trendy, in-demand
topic and he's got institutions by the short hairs... There's no reason
for charging $460 for this work beyond pure avarice and opportunism. I see
no reason whatsoever to pay these prices...one could easily cover the topic
with other works.

At 09:00 AM 5/21/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Gary & all,
>I agree that $460 is absolutely an outrageous price for this...but we did
>pay it in October of 2000. Since 5 faculty members were clamoring for it,
>I did what I had to do. As you say, though, Caveat Emptor. At least at
>that time, they sent out this ridiculous agreement you're supposed to sign,
>requiring that you agree not to lend it to any other institution, that you
>use it only in official classes of your institution (as opposed to
>something like a faculty seminar), etc., etc. If I recall correctly, our
>Head Librarian read it, *crossed out* a section he would not agree to, and
>sent it back. They still sent the video. Perhaps you could consider the
>same tactic if you find the agreement to be onerous.
>
>Susan at Wabash College
>
>At 08:40 AM 5/21/02 -0700, Gary Handman wrote:
> >--=====================_51694713==_.ALT
> >
> >Hi.
> >
> >I notice that NVR (National Video Resources--a group that I trust
> >implicitly) lists Color of Fear in their Viewing Race collection (see
> >http://www.viewingrace.org/browse_title.php?film_id=63&curr_letter=c).
> >The price of the work is, however, listed on the NVR web site at $460--a
> >price I consider usurous and totally unjustified for this particular video.
> >In any case, the address and contact info for Stir Fry Productions is
> >listed on the NVR site. Caveat Emptor.
> >

>Susan Albrecht
>Acquisitions Coordinator
>Wabash College Lilly Library
>Crawfordsville, IN
>x6216
>albrechs@wabash.edu

>"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."--Neil Peart

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000