RE: Videos re Libraries?

Marguerite Hawkins (MHawkins@groupwise.swin.edu.au)
Mon, 20 May 2002 17:45:27 -0700 (PDT)

URGENT!!! Could someone please tell me how to get off this list? I am going into hospital in the morning and I have tried everything I know to get off but id does not work. I don't want to come back in about three weeks and find a back log of postings.

Marguerite

>>> mthreatt@indiana.edu 05/21/02 06:55am >>>
Today, a media professor and I collaborated on a lunch bag project: "Images
of librarians in cinema/television." Some of the short clips we used were
from Party Girl, It's a Wonderful Life, Buffy, Get Smart episode where
secret information is hidden in a Who's Who book (hilarious), Desk Set,
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (invinsible librarian), Sophie's Choice,
Matilda, Ghostbusters, The Philadelphia Story, The Music Man, The Name of
the Rose just to name a few. Maybe some of these will be helpful.

--Monique Threatt
IU Bloomington

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 3:44 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Videos re Libraries?

Uh...sorry you missed an exceedingly clever screenplay, jon. Party Girl
is the only film I have EVER seen that actually features a scene in which a
character offers an exposition on what a professional librarian is and does
(nah, I don't consider the wonk (wuzzis name? Giles?) in Buffy on the same
par). Sure, PG is a fluffy little indie film, but someone in production
got it right re the image of the profession. There's a scene near the end
in which erstwhile party girl Posey offers an explanation of how she'd
construct a search strategy that's priceless.