RE: Underscoring the importance of objective review sources,

Mon, 20 May 2002 09:35:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for this note Chip. I have not seen this particular review, but, as
a long-time reviewer myself, I must comment that I think I'm with the
editor in commenting that "reviewers call their call." That, in essence,
is what free speech and a free press are all about: the right to call the
call, popular/unpopular, even stupid and misguided... Over the years I've
been called by more than a fair number of film producers and distributors
who have been mightily pissed off by my negative (or even luke-warm)
review. I've gone back and looked at a film again to be sure my first
impulses were correct, but I've never backed down on my initial
judgment. Most reviewers I know work hard at the craft. Most of us shoot
for at least a modicum of balance...although the very act of reviewing
generally entails bringing a point of view and a familiarity with similar
works to bear.

I do think the editor owed you some comment space, but I shudder to think
what would happen if reviewers or their editors "recanted" each time an
irate author or filmmaker disagreed with his or her call...

Gary Handman

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000