Re: "B-roll" defined

Ben Achtenberg (
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

I believe this is roughly correct as to the origin of the term in live
television. It's used more broadly today -- see my prior posting.


At 08:30 AM 4/17/02 -0700, sdavies@MtRoyal.AB.CA wrote:

> I hadn't heard of this expression either, but a "b-roll" appears to
>be a simultaneously shot film clip which allows the news editor to switch
>clips in the main "a-roll" without interrupting the audio. It was
>necessitated by fast-paced news production, pre-video.
> Sorry for the poor summary, but a clearer explanation is at
> Stephen Davies