Re: Julius Caesar character

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

--=====================_88925037==_.ALT

Sure.

Julius Ceasar
BBC. Director Herbert Wise, 1979. Featuring Richard Pasco, Richard Pasco,
Keith Michell, Charles Gray, David Collings, Virginia McKenna. 160 min.
(Ambrose Video)

Julius Ceasar
Director Stuart Burge, 1970. Featuring Charlton Heston, Jason Robards, John
Gielgud, Richard Johnson, Robert Vaughn, Richard Chamberlain, Diana Rigg.
116 min. FACETS and other distributors

Julius Ceasar
Director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1953. MGM movie version featuring Marlon
Brando, John Gielgud, James Mason. 122 min. FACETS and other distributors

Caesar and Cleopatra (1946)
Directed by Gabriel Pascal. Featuring Vivien Leigh, Claude Rains, Stewart
Granger, Flora Robson, Cecil Parker, Anthony Harvey, Stanley Holloway, Leo
Genn. Cleopatra was the willful child who became a determined monarch and
guided Egypt's fortunes. Caesar was her confidante and lover and the man
who helped Cleopatra through her transformation. It was a union that was
destined to produce one of history's greatest duos. Based on the play by
George Bernard Shaw. FACETS and other distributors

Cleopatra (1934)
Directed by Cecil B. DeMille. Featuring Claudette Colbert, Warren William,
Henry Wilcoxon. Story of the life of Cleopatra, queen of ancient Egypt from
her ascension to the throne through her struggle for power and her loves
and entanglements with Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony. Especially
noteworthy are the elaborate sets and the famous "barge scene"--one of the
most talked about cinematic effects in film history. 101 min. FACETS and
other distributors

Cleopatra (1963)
Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Featuring Elizabeth Taylor, Richard
Burton, Rex Harrison. Story of the life of Cleopatra, queen of ancient
Egypt from her ascension to the throne through her struggle for power and
her loves and entanglements with Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony. 246 min.
FACETS and other distributors

Julius Caesar (Berlin State Opera)
This brilliant staging of George Frideric Handel's celebrated opera
features a magnificent performance by the great Theo Adam in the title
role. Under the direction of Hans Krenitz, the Berlin State Opera Company
brings Handel's work to life in superb form. With soprano Celestina
Casapietra as Cleopatra and alto Stegfried Vogel as Ptolemy. 124 mins.
FACETS and other distributors

Julius Caesar (English National Opera)
Dame Janet Baker leads a cast of Britain's finest baroque opera singers in
this fabulous performance of Handel's Julius Caesar. Sir Charles MacKerras
conducts the chorus and orchestra of the English National Opera in this
production re-staged in the studio for optimum sound and visual quality.
Skillfully directed by John Copley. "This is music of almost unearthly
beauty" (The London Times). 1984, 180 mins. FACETS and other distributors

Caesar the Conquerer
Colorful tale of the legendary ruler of Rome as he leads his legions into
battle. He and his armies are pitted against the rebel hordes from Gaul.
With Cameron Mitchell and Rik Battaglia. Dubbed in English. Dir Amerigo
Anton Italy 1961 103 mins. FACETS

See also:

"Our Lofty Scene: Teaching Julius Caesar on Film," in Teaching Shakespeare
into the 21st Century (Athens: Ohio University Press, 1997) eds. James
Davis and Ronald Salomone.

Solomon, Jon. The ancient world in the cinema / Jon Solomon. Rev. and
expanded
ed. New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, c2001.

At 08:34 AM 4/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a professor who is teaching a course in the Fall on Julius Caesar.
>Can anyone suggest film titles in which Julius Caesar appears as a
>character? I'd be most grateful for any ideas. Thanks.
>
>Rhonda Pancoe
>Media Acquisitions Coordinator
>Media & Instructional Technology
>SB-8 McGregory Hall
>Colgate University
>Hamilton, NY 13346
>Phone: 315-228-7858
>Fax: 315-228-7725
>Email: RPancoe@Mail.Colgate.Edu

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000

[...]

Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Featuring Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison. Story of the life of Cleopatra, queen of ancient Egypt from her ascension to the throne through her struggle for power and her loves and entanglements with Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony. 246 min. FACETS and other distributors

Julius Caesar (Berlin State Opera)
This brilliant staging of George Frideric Handel's celebrated opera features a magnificent performance by the great Theo Adam in the title role. Under the direction of Hans Krenitz, the Berlin State Opera Company brings Handel's work to life in superb form. With soprano Celestina Casapietra as Cleopatra and alto Stegfried Vogel as Ptolemy. 124 mins. FACETS and other distributors