RE: Video collection development

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think it's a matter of "getting burned"--I think it's a matter of
the materials not circulating: a considerably different thing. Movies
always sell themselves (at least pop current stuff); everything else takes
aggressive marketing, advocacy, a strong commitment to providing
bibliographic access.

A collection that uses price points as a collection development tool is
dropping the ball. User communities are almost always diverse; collections
need to follow suit. What that means is building a collection with a wide
diversity of topics, viewpoints, and approaches to the medium. You can't
pull that off with mass marketed video alone...

In my book, one insightful and inspiring (albeit costy) independent work
worth a truck load of bland, faceless mass market schlock... If I were a
public librarian, I'd have enough trust in my clientele to believe that
they'd feel the same...

At 11:58 AM 4/11/2002 -0700, you wrote:
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
>RE: Video collection development
>
> From another public library: we usually don't = get expensive titles. I
> bought a few when I had selection duties, but = got burned on a coupla
> Bullfrog titles that were about $200 apiece and = got checked out forever
> soon after we acquired them. We have a = high loss/disappearance rate (I
> think). This is *not* a machine problem. =
>
>spleenishly,
>Susan

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000