RE: Video collection development

Jaeschke, Myles (
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

Check out "forever" can be a problem-- we do experience loss this way and it
can really sting. However as Kris pointed out many of the higher priced
titles can be replaced rather inexpensively. I have replaced titles from
Bullfrog for under $50--$25 if I remember correctly. Most of the
distributors of the higher priced material will work with you on
replacements, you just have to ask.

Best Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Shaw []
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 1:53 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Video collection development

RE: Video collection development

From another public library:  we usually don't = get expensive titles. I bought a few when I had selection duties, but = got burned on a coupla Bullfrog titles that were about $200 apiece and = got checked out forever soon after we acquired them.  We have a = high loss/disappearance rate (I think). This is *not* a machine problem. =

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaeschke, Myles [<= /A>]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 11:19 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list

I echo Kris' thoughts here.  I am from a public = library, and agree that
there are fantastic titles out there that are = expensive.  Do not limit
yourself to the under $30.00 selections.  Your = customers will thank you!

Myles Jaeschke

Tulsa City County Library

I'm sure the public librarians on the list will weigh = in with their
suggestions about how to deal with the cost issue, = but I urge you to set
aside some money for truly exceptional titles that = are more expensive.
It's the only way to assure that your users have = access to the best in
video programing.  And, as you point out, they = won't be at your local
video store.  You're the only game in town for = these programs.