Re: Video collection development

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

Even though we're a large academic institution, our budget for media
development is astonishingly small.
However, I have found that many distributors of the more "high-end" titles
are great about replacing lost or damaged items at a substantial discount.

At 04:36 PM 4/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I have just taken over the coordination of non-print media Collection
>Development for our Library and the selection of videos (both VHS and DVD)
>for the adult and young adult collections. Having done little collection
>development in the past, I have a huge learning curve to overcome. But
>it's been quite fun!
>
>I am wondering what other mid-sized public libraries do about selecting
>films. Do you have a specific policy that dictates what you buy? Do you
>have a specific dollar amount over which you will not go? I have been
>lurking on this list and looking at lots of great sources for videos. The
>ALA Video Roundtable Notable Videos for Adults has proven a great list.
>But some of the films are very expensive and the person before me had an
>artificial cap of about $29.99 for any film! (I'm probably exaggerating
>a bit.)
>
>If you buy a film for $295 and it gets damaged in a home video machine,
>what do you do? Do you buy a certain number of these more costly films
>each year? Our philosophy is to buy "award winning" films and not get
>into multiple copies of popular titles that could be found at the local
>video stores. I would like our collection to have copies of the more
>expensive films that can't be found at the local video store, but our
>collection development team is not sure I should spend the funds in that
>way.
>
>Any insight you can send my way would be most appreciated. Thanks!
>kc
>
>Kim Crowley, Technology Coordinator
>City of Fort Collins Public Library
>201 Peterson Street phone: 970.221.6662
>Fort Collins, CO 80524 fax: 970.221.6398
>crowley@julip.fcgov.com

Joan Freeman Goodwin
Media Center Supervisor

Library and Information Access email:jgoodwin@mail.sdsu.edu
San Diego State University phone:(619)594-6759
San Diego, California 92182-8050 fax : (619)594-0718