RE: Video collection development

Frank Haulgren (haulgren@cc.wwu.edu)
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:02:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'm fairly new to this list but thought I'd sound in on this thread. At
Western Washington University our videos are in open stacks and many,
especially the feature films and more popular documentaries, get very
heavy recreational use in addition to classroom use.

The way we dealt with replacement due to damage and wear and tear has been
to raise the overdue fines on videos and then set aside a portion of fine
revenues as a video replacement fund. Suprisingly our users had no
problem with the increased fine. We ran a small publicity campaign when
the increase took effect to make them aware that the increase was
specifically to support replace damaged and worn titles.

An added benefit of this approach has been that replacements no longer are
paid for out of acquisitions funds and I, as the Media Desk supervisor, am
free to fast-track replacement of worn and damaged titles without needing
approval to buy from the appropriate selector who may or may not have
funds he or shee is willing to allocate for a replacement copy.

It's worked out really well and actually we find we are spending less
money than we had anticipated. This approach may not work for everyone
but it's been good for us.
Frank Haulgren
Collection Services Supervisor
Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery / Media and Microforms
W e s t e r n W a s h i n g t o n U n i v e r s i t y
haulgren@cc.wwu.edu 360-650-7641 FAX 360-650-7397