RE: evaluation of 16 mm collection

Katherine McGivern (kmcgivern@bergen.edu)
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

Recently, the 16mm collection was eliminated from my library. The evaluation process began with usage statistics, then faculty favorites which could be purchased in VHS format. Faculty favorates which could not be purchased were copied onto VHS with the originals stored. Everything else was removed from the collection. Most of it was sent to the 16mm Film Prerservation Society in Florida.
Since we had only 1 working 16mm projector, having the films was becoming pointless and they take up far too much space.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey W. Pearson [mailto:jwpearso@j.imap.itd.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 4:54 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: evaluation of 16 mm collection

I need to come up with a plan to evaluate our 6,000 title 16 mm film
collection, started in the 1940's, for weeding, preservation, and
possible reformatting. If anyone has tackled this kind of project I
would appreciate any advice you can share. I've got ideas for an
approach and a general plan, but what I would love to know of is any
already compiled list of what are considered the "best films of all
time". I'm hoping to find help with identifying the hidden treasures
in our collection. I know I'm asking for the grail here, but any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-Jeff Pearson

--
Jeffrey W. Pearson			Phone: (734) 763-3758
Librarian, Film & Video Library		Fax: (734) 764-7087