RE: what's in a name

Vitali, Elaine (EVitali@fanshawec.on.ca)
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:26:35 -0800 (PST)

Amy:
We call our centre, Media Services, as it seems to encompass everything. I find Audio-Visual a very dated term and I really dislike the term non-print which basically says what we are not rather than what we are. Since we also loan out both hardware and software, I find Media Services covers it all.
elaine

Elaine J. Vitali
Media Services Librarian
Fanshawe College Library
London, Ontario

-----Original Message-----
From: Schauer, Amy [mailto:ASchauer@ci.west-linn.or.us]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 7:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: what's in a name

Hi,
Our library is completing a major building remodel and we need to have a
sign fabricated for the entrance of our new A/V room. This is our chance to
choose the very best term for this room, which we'll also use as a locator
in the catalog. The VHS videos, DVDs, music CDs, audiobooks on tape and CD,
and CD-roms are all housed in this room. We've considered:
* Media Center,
* Audio-Video Room,
* Audio-Visual Room.

None of them strike us as perfect. Has anyone out there hit on a better
term?

thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Amy E. S. Schauer
Events / Audio-Visual Librarian