RE: Title search: "Black Wall Street: a black holocaust in Americ

Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:04:01 -0800 (PST)

Ben,

A person would have to know a little about race relations in American
History during the 1920s to understand this documentary.
Short version: "the film traces the demise of a prosperous African American
community in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1921." But, it's more than that. Think
Rosewood, the movie. In a nutshell, African Americans who had migrated to
Oklahoma were not only segregated, but were able to prosper and build
successful businesses--thus the name "Black Wall Street."

Of course, hard and desperate times can make people do crazy things. The
final result, poor whites were outraged that black people could be
successful and prosper, while they fell on hard times. So, the next thing
you have is a white angry mob going into this community and burning it down.
Lives lost on both side. That's the short end of it. I hope it's a little
helpful. The accompany book is pretty good and details what you miss in the
documentary.

Monique Threatt