RE: Fee vs. free videos

Frame Steve (SFrame@TORRNET.COM)
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:41:15 -0800 (PST)

The Torrance Public Library eliminated a $1 per day fee for all videos/DVDs
in February 2001. Since then, circulation has more than doubled and
continues to increase slightly each month.

DVD shelves are relatively empty (70-80% of the collection in circulation),
even with our 1000+ titles. The VHS collection is also heavily used, however
not "empty," as the collection consists of nearly 10,000 titles. The only
problem thus far has been the vastly increased demands placed on Audiovisual
staff time. Specifically, current staff has difficulty meeting increased AV
circulation, shelving, and repair needs.

Steve Frame
Senior Librarian
Torrance Public Library
sframe@torrnet.com