Re: Damage caused by DVD cases

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:01:59 -0800 (PST)

Kate & all,

I'm going to add my two cents here because this issue gets me incensed
these days.

1. Yes, the case hub releases are causing the problem. This may, from time
to time, be further aggravated by casual removal/replacement of discs by
users--snapping the disc off and on the Amaray/Alpha/Accura hubs with the
flanges. We've even adopted a friction pressure case from a library
supplier, which is still tight on the hub and has resulted in the cracks
developing sometimes. --If this particular disc problem were not with the
hub designs most common, we should have had similar problems with CDs. But
the jewel case hub design, prevalent on the "snapper" cases for DVDs too,
is superior.

2. The persistence of these awful hub designs, I'm convinced, is one of
mere marketing. It was necessary to the industry to distinguish DVDs from
CDs in a way that made them seem extra-special, and packaging is the most
obvious means toward that. Even if it makes no logical "form follows
function" sense. So we're stuck with half a dozen different hub designs
that I've seen, none of them adequate for their purpose--if that purpose
includes keeping the disc in usable condition and not building into it
deterioration-driven obsolescence. Except on the Warner-style snapper
case--which again is essentially no real change from the CD jewel box.
History *ought* to repeat itself here.

3. Having tried a library-style album case as an alternative (Library
Store, #89-0094)--and still having the hub-crack problem with
high-circulation titles--I'm about to try a couple of the case types used
by rental stores. These tend to have hub holders without any flanges: you
just drop the DVD back onto the hub, and the case will stay shut without
using the security device that's normally meant to attach to it for rental
purposes. These also accomodate sleeve and interior literature. You might
check out the Specialty Store catalog for choices (e.g., #7463, #7020).
They're relatively inexpensive to experiment with.

4. A final note of warning: When cracks around the hub develop, watch out
for another phenomenon: you may come to notice a discoloration, like a
corona around the inner ring on the disc playing surface. This may be a
form of oxidation, resulting from the cracks opening up space between the
two disc sides and letting air in. It'll stop the disc playback dead when
that happens--and that's automatic replacement.

Jeff

--On Friday, March 01, 2002 3:51 AM -0800 "Delin, Peter" <delin@zlb.de>

Jeff Clark
Director