RE: Dealing with disturbing content

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:15:37 -0800 (PST)

I held my tongue yesterday, but since Greg Callahan raised the issue...

All 50 U.S. states have some form of confidentiality legislation or opinion.
Thus, in general, circulation records are confidential, and it would be a
violation of (most) states' law to release them to anyone, (including a
parent) without a search warrant.

The ALA Code of Ethics reads: "Librarians must protect each user's right to
privacy with respect to information sought or received, and materials
consulted, borrowed, or acquired."

deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
Arizona State University West
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522