RE: Dealing with disturbing content

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:37:35 -0800 (PST)

And a shorthand anecdote that isn't mine, but comes from a public library
colleague in my state a few years back--warning of the hazards, perhaps, of
not checking basic information on a video title before jumping to
conclusions about what you're about to be, er, exposed to....

A patron came into the library looking for a video to relax at home with.
One would take it, from the title he thought he was checking out, he might
even have been considering a family viewing. He thought that title was
"National Velvet". But what it clearly was labeled was "Blue Velvet."

Turns out the borrower was a library board member, too.

(The outcome, I suspect, wasn't too unhappy though, since I never heard a
followup on fallout beyond minor embarrassment.)

Jeff
Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources (MSC 1701)
James Madison University
clarkjc@jmu.edu

--On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 10:39 AM -0800 Carol Dunn