RE: Dealing with disturbing content

Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:26:37 -0800 (PST)

One possible backup position: there's an R-rated version of Requiem for a
Dream that you could get to replace the unrated version. I hate to say that
because it goes against my ideal of no compromise on censorship issues, but
in the real world sometimes you have to give a little to avoid caving
completely. Example: at JCL video challenges have centered on the ability
of kids to check out any video in the collection and some parents got bent
out of shape when their kid brought home an R-rated film. Rather than
remove the films we tightened up library card registration procedures,
requiring that parents co-sign for their kids' cards up to age 16 and
allowing parents greater access to their kids'library records--what they
have checked out, etc. The idea was to make it very clear that we weren't
going to act in loco parentis, but we would make it easier for parents to do
the job themselves. Not ideal--the kids lost some of their confidentiality
as patrons, but we're not removing any videos and parents can't accuse us of
making it difficult to control what their kids watch.

Hope you can come up with something short of pulling the film that puts your
controversy to rest, Julie.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library