Re: Dealing with disturbing content

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:22:00 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "LeeAnne Krause" <LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 11:02 AM
Subject: Dealing with disturbing content

> --=3D_A5F8EE01.1B7A1B12
>=20
> Hi Videolibbers-
> Has anyone ever had difficulty knowing how to appropriately deal with
> video materials that have possibly disturbing content? For example,
> documentaries such as Dreamworlds, or feature films such as Kids or =
Tin
> Drum. Have you ever had complaints from folks who unwittingly checked
> stuff out not knowing the content and were offended by it, or do you
> find that folks are willing to fend for themselves and not be
> hypersensitive? One issue that I'm especially concerned about is =
those
> films which do not fall under the category of recent American features
> and therefore don't use the rating system. If something is "R" rated,
> then that's probably warning enough, but what about foreign films and
> documentaries? We recently got in several items that might be
> disturbing to some, and we're trying to determine which of the =
following
> tactics we should try to head problems off:
> 1- Do nothing- don't treat those items any differently, as long as =
we're
> only circulating to those over 18.
> 2- Put a warning inside the video/DVD case that the materials contain
> explicit content.
> 3- Verbally warn patrons.
> 4- Have our catalogers put a warning in the library computer records =
for
> those films.
>=20
> Which, if any, of these tactics do you use, and what is your degree of
> success?
> Thanks in advance,
> LeeAnne
>=20
>=20
> LeeAnne L. Krause
> Manager of Educational Films
> USC Film Library
> 803-777-2858
> See our new acquisitions at:
> www.sc.edu/library/film.html
>=20
> --=3D_A5F8EE01.1B7A1B12
>=20
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY style=3D"FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: =
2px">
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>Hi Videolibbers-</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>Has anyone ever had difficulty knowing how to =
appropriately=20
> deal with video materials that have possibly disturbing content?&nbsp; =
For=20
> example, documentaries such as Dreamworlds, or feature films such as =
Kids or Tin=20
> Drum.&nbsp; Have you ever had complaints from folks who unwittingly =
checked=20
> stuff out not knowing the content and were offended by it, or do you =
find that=20
> folks are&nbsp;willing to fend for themselves and not be =
hypersensitive?&nbsp;=20
> One issue that I'm especially concerned about is those films which do =
not fall=20
> under the category of&nbsp;recent American features and therefore =
don't&nbsp;use=20
> the&nbsp;rating system.&nbsp; If something is "R" rated, then that's =
probably=20
> warning enough, but what about foreign&nbsp;films and =
documentaries?&nbsp; We=20
> recently got in several items that&nbsp;might be disturbing to some, =
and we're=20
> trying to determine which of the following tactics we should try to =
head=20
> problems off:</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>1- Do nothing- don't treat those items any =
differently, as=20
> long as we're only&nbsp;circulating to those over 18.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>2-&nbsp;Put a warning inside the&nbsp;video/DVD =
case that the=20
> materials contain explicit content.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>3-&nbsp;Verbally warn patrons.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>4-&nbsp;Have&nbsp;our catalogers&nbsp;put a =
warning in the=20
> library computer records for those films.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>Which, if any, of these tactics do you use, and =
what is your=20
> degree of success?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D1>LeeAnne</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>LeeAnne L. Krause<BR>Manager of Educational Films<BR>USC Film=20
> Library<BR>803-777-2858<BR>See our new acquisitions at:<BR><A=20
> =
href=3D"http://www.sc.edu/library/film.html">www.sc.edu/library/film.html=
</A></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>=20
> --=3D_A5F8EE01.1B7A1B12--
>=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01C1BE10.12326010

Good afternoon,
We do not put disclaimers on our = material, with one=20 exception. Dreamworlds came with an enclosed disclaimer, which we = reduced in=20 size to fit into the pocket on the case. When someone wants to view this = program, they can read the disclaimer if they so choose. Faculty who use = the=20 program in class give advance notice to their students so that those who = think=20 they will find the material offensive can leave the room. So far we've = had no=20 complaints about our lack of warnings. We do have study rooms and = monitors that=20 face away from the main aisle so that viewers who may be sensitive = about=20 the content of what they are watching can have a modicum=20 of privacy. Over the years we've had some interesting comments = on=20 several nursing and STD programs that patrons caught sight of on their = way=20 through the viewing area, but no complaints.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional = Media=20 Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN=20 37132
phone  615-898-2740
fax  = 615-898-2530