RE: Shelving nonfeature videos

Ben Achtenberg (Ben@fanlight.com)
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:00:43 -0800 (PST)

Responding to the various folks who have been discussing the shelving
issue, if I can weigh in as a non-librarian (but as both a distributor and
a regular library patron):

1) I would agree with Peter Cartford that serendipity sometimes works both
ways. However, for folks who use the types of programs that are in our
catalog (and I have discussed this with a number of our end-users), they
are FAR more likely to come across one of our releases because they are in
the library researching a topic of personal concern to them (autism,
bi-polar disorders, sickle-cell anemia, coping with disability -- to choose
a few examples) than when they're browsing the video display for weekend
entertainment. Frequently they are unaware that films on these subjects
even exist. For this reason, I've always felt that interfiling by subject
for films like these makes the most sense.

2) For other documentaries -- someone mentioned Ross McElwee's works, which
would be a good example -- filing by subject would probably be doing both
the film and its potential viewers a disservice.

3) I very much like Stephen Davies' suggestion of putting "dummy" boxes in
the main collection (or the other way round) which seems like it would
offer the best of both worlds, if you've got room for the extras. If it
would encourage any libraries to pursue this option, Fanlight would be MORE
than happy to provide you with duplicate copies of our film packaging, so
that your staff wouldn't need to bother about cobbling together copies.

4) On a somewhat unrelated subject, a number of folks have written about
the circulation (or not) of the MacArthur collection: as the original
distributor of one of those films, FOUR LIVES: a Portrait of Manic
Depression, we would be very interested in hearing more about how useful it
has been for your patrons.

Ben Achtenberg
Fanlight Productions