Re: Interfiling Woes

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:54:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi, My name is Jim Scholtz - I've been an AV Librarian in colleges,
multi-type library systems and public libraries for about 18 years now and
am currently a public library director (don't hold that against me). I've
been in charge of cataloging media for a long time and still do all the
media at our library. I've found that, through the years, neither LC or
OCLC has done a very good job of cataloging videos and both vendors have
lots of errors. You have to remember that cataloging consists of 3
distinct parts - describing the item physically, attempting to assign a
call number, and attempting to describe it with a subject heading
thesaurus. These functions are all done by different people at different
times and these people must physically view at least part of the video in
order to make a determination. (OCLC - by member libraries). How many of
them actually view the videos - Maybe not many. Also DDC and LC
classification is an art not a science. Many feature films are classed as
"literature" instead of fiction - just the same as Mark Twain's "Tom
Sawyer" might be placed in American literature - 800's in one library and
in FIC in another. My head cataloger always wants to put fictional
biographies in the 92 (we use this for Biography rather than placing the
item with the DDC subject - another abnormality!) Actually, I've found the
best source of AV cataloging to be AV Access (available through Bibliofile
- originally done by the catalogers at Professional Media Services (now
purchased by B&T Video). Sometimes there are cataloging mistakes and
sometimes the mistakes are done on purpose due to the way the catalogers
decided to catalog/describe the item. Not wrong necessarily - just
different. You may notice that for any given video (or item) on OCLC,
you'll probably find more than one title/OC listing. This is especially
true for video/book series titles - treated singly or as a set. Hope this