RE: Interfiling Woes

Pamela S. Reeves (PReeves@uwyo.edu)
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:37:23 -0800 (PST)

I agree, we are going through a cataloging process changing our
collection from Dewey to LC and the way it is being done, makes no rhyme
or reason to me. ie. Eyes on the Prize Series I is classified as a
series, with the same call number and volumes 1 through 6, Eyes on the
Prize II is cataloged as separate tapes, with separate call-nos., so
they are scattered throughout. Makes sense to me they should be
cataloged the same way, so they are next to each other on the shelf.
But what do I know, I'm not a Cataloger. They are only through about 1/3
of our collection, and everyday I dread what comes next.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 3:18 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Interfiling Woes

This has puzzled me for ages. How are some items given the cataloging
and
classification they have. The only thing we can come up with is that
the
catalogers at LC live in underground caves, take heavy drugs, and never
ever
talk to a librarian who works in the real world. ;)(please don't write
back
and flame me ;))

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual